Politics

ADC vows to proceed with congresses despite INEC stance — Abdullahi

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has insisted it will go ahead with its planned congresses and national convention, despite the position of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on the party’s leadership dispute.

 

Speaking on Arise TV on Thursday, ADC National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the party had already given INEC the mandatory 21-day notice for the activities and would proceed regardless of the commission’s participation.

 

“We have given INEC 21 days’ notice. They have accepted the notice. So whether they come or not, we’ll continue with our congresses. And we will go on with our convention,” Abdullahi said.

 

INEC had earlier announced it would no longer recognise factions of the party led by David Mark and Nafiu Bala, following a review of a Court of Appeal judgment.

 

Abdullahi alleged that the commission’s decision was influenced by pressure from the federal government, claiming it was part of efforts to weaken opposition parties and skew the political landscape ahead of the 2027 elections.

 

He also criticised INEC’s planned voter revalidation exercise, describing it as poorly timed and capable of creating confusion within the electoral process.

 

“Today, INEC has been bamboozled. INEC has been intimidated. INEC has succumbed to intimidation, and they are determined to coronet President Bola Tinubu,” Abdullahi said.

 

He added, “Getting people to register to vote is difficult enough. Asking every single person that has a voter card to go back to their polling units to revalidate those cards a few months to the election is just plain anarchy. All this points to INEC trying to create chaos.”

 

Abdullahi warned that the recent developments raise concerns about the state of Nigeria’s democracy, urging citizens to closely monitor unfolding political events ahead of the 2027 elections.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

8 minutes ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

14 minutes ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

4 hours ago

US lifts 12-year entry restriction on vessels from Nigeria

The United States Coast Guard has lifted the Condition of Entry imposed on vessels arriving…

4 hours ago

2027: ‘Peace Accord Meaningless Without Justice, Accountability’ — Adebayo

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Adewole Adebayo, has questioned the effectiveness…

4 hours ago

Drug allegations: Tinubu backs US request for 10-day delay in records release

President Bola Tinubu has joined a request by the United States Department of Justice for…

4 hours ago