Politics

PDP Faction Expects 2,500 Delegates at Sunday Convention

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has reaffirmed that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) national convention will proceed as scheduled on March 29 and 30, with about 2,500 delegates expected to attend.

 

Wike stated this on Friday night after inspecting the Moshood Abiola National Stadium Velodrome in Abuja, the venue for the convention, expressing satisfaction with the level of preparedness.

 

He downplayed internal disagreements and ongoing legal disputes, insisting that the appeal filed by the Kabiru Tanimu Turaki-led faction would not affect the planned gathering.

 

“There is room for accommodation. The PDP is a very large party. The umbrella is wide enough to accommodate everyone,” Wike said, adding that reconciliation efforts would continue beyond the convention.

 

He acknowledged the existence of grievances within the party but stressed that efforts were ongoing to engage aggrieved members and strengthen unity ahead of the 2027 general elections.

 

On zoning, Wike disclosed that party positions had already been distributed across regions to ensure balance and consensus.

 

“The presidency has been zoned to the South, while the chairmanship is zoned to the North. This consensus arrangement will make the process smoother,” he said.

 

The minister added that logistical arrangements for the convention were nearing completion, noting that seating and other facilities had been put in place for delegates.

 

“We are fully prepared. We expect about 2,500 delegates, and arrangements are almost complete,” he said.

 

The inspection was attended by key party figures, including Chairman of the National Convention Planning Committee, Okezie Ikpeazu, and Chairman of the PDP Board of Trustees, Mao Ohuabunwa, among others.

 

The convention comes amid a prolonged leadership crisis within the PDP, with rival factions laying claim to the party’s structure following the nullification of the Ibadan convention by the Court of Appeal earlier in March.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

2 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

2 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago