World News

Israel to take control of security zone in south Lebanon

Israel says its military will take control of a security zone in southern Lebanon, extending up to the Litani River, about 30 kilometres from the border.

The announcement comes amid intensified air and ground operations, with Israeli forces continuing strikes across Lebanon.

In a related development, Lebanon’s foreign ministry has declared Iran’s ambassador persona non grata, giving him until Sunday to leave the country—an unprecedented move since the latest conflict began.

The crisis escalated after the Iran-backed Hezbollah launched rocket attacks on Israel on March 2, in retaliation for the killing of Iran’s former Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei.

Since then, Israeli strikes have reportedly killed more than 1,000 people and displaced over one million others across Lebanon within weeks of fighting. Ground troops have also been deployed to southern parts of the country.

Lebanon’s state-run news Agency reports that fresh strikes hit areas in the south, east, and near the capital, Beirut, following overnight bombardments of the city’s southern suburbs.

Eyewitness accounts describe widespread destruction in parts of southern Beirut, with buildings reduced to rubble and debris scattered across streets.

The Israeli military says it targeted what it described as Hezbollah infrastructure in Beirut and other locations.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago