General News

FG activates evacuation plans for Nigerians as Middle East crisis escalates

The Federal Government has begun processes to evacuate Nigerians affected by the escalating crisis in parts of the Middle East, amid rising security concerns across the region.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Monday that it is finalising administrative procedures and funding arrangements to commence the evacuation exercise.

 

Spokesperson for the ministry, Kimiebi Ebienfa, confirmed that preparations were underway.

 

“The government is working out the necessary administrative details and the release of funds to commence evacuation,” he said.

 

The development follows heightened tensions triggered by missile and drone attacks linked to Iran, as well as coordinated military strikes by the United States and Israel on February 28, which have further destabilised the region.

 

The crisis has disrupted flights and travel plans, leaving many Nigerians stranded in countries including Iran, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Qatar.

 

The ministry had earlier identified Nigerians in Iran and Israel as the most vulnerable, noting that evacuation efforts in those countries are complicated by the volatile security situation.

 

According to officials, evacuating stranded Nigerians from Iran involves significant logistical challenges, including transporting students from various locations to the Armenian border and meeting entry requirements set by Armenian authorities.

 

The government is also exploring multiple evacuation options, including the possible deployment of Nigerian Air Force aircraft, although security concerns have made flight arrangements difficult.

 

The ministry added that many Nigerians currently stranded in Qatar are transit passengers whose travel plans were disrupted, noting that airlines are providing temporary care and support for them.

 

The Federal Government said it remains committed to ensuring the safe return of affected Nigerians as efforts to coordinate the evacuation continue.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

2 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

2 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago