The communities were reportedly attacked on Friday by suspected armed herders, who invaded the area while farmers were harvesting cashew seeds on their farms.
While residents said at least 15 people were killed, the Benue State Police Command earlier confirmed that six bodies had so far been recovered from the scene.
In a statement issued on Saturday by his Chief Press Secretary, Kula Terso, Alia described the attack on farmers from Ojantelle, Asaba and Akpete communities as a “terrorist act.”
“How can you come in and attack a people who were simply pursuing their legitimate means of livelihood? My people are hardworking farmers and do not deserve such a cruel fate,” the governor said.
“I condemn this heinous act in the strongest possible terms. The killing of innocent Benue citizens going about their daily farm work is an assault on our shared humanity and will not be tolerated.”
Alia expressed sympathy to the affected communities and families of the victims, assuring them that the state government stands firmly with them.
He said he had directed security agencies to intensify operations in the area to track down those responsible for the attack, rescue the abducted girl and locate other missing persons.
“Do not lose hope. My administration is working closely with security agencies and community leaders to strengthen protection around vulnerable areas,” he said.
The governor also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to protecting lives and property across the state, promising that those responsible for the attack would be brought to justice.
“We will not waver until our people are safe and can return to their fields without fear,” Alia said.
He also prayed for the repose of the souls of the victims and strength for the families affected by the attack.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…