Politics

Protest rocks Kano over El-Rufai’s continued detention

Supporters of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) and the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Kano State, yesterday, staged a peaceful protest over the continued detention of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, without being formally charged to court.

The protesters, comprising members of coalition groups and the El-Rufai Support Group, converged on the ADC state secretariat in Kano, demanding that the authorities either release the former governor or arraign him before a competent court.

Carrying placards with various inscriptions, the demonstrators said the prolonged detention of the former governor without trial was unjust and contrary to the rule of law.

Speaking during the protest, a leader of the El-Rufai Support Group and ADC member, Al’amin Nuraddeen Amin, said the demonstration was organised to draw attention to what he described as the unlawful detention of the former governor.

According to him, the group is demanding that the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, either charge El-Rufai to court immediately or release him.

“We organised this peaceful protest to express concern over the continued detention of Malam Nasir El-Rufai without being taken to court. Our demand is simple — either charge him before a competent court or release him,” Amin said.

He warned that the group might explore legal options against the anti-graft agency if the situation persists.

Also speaking, the Deputy Chairman of SDP in Kano State, Usaini Maidawa Gabasawa, said the protest was aimed at demonstrating solidarity with the former governor.

Similarly, the Kano State Chairman of ADC, Musa Sha’aibu Ungoggo, described the continued detention of El-Rufai by security agencies as a violation of due process, noting that no official offence had been publicly disclosed against him.

Meanwhile, the opposition parties said they would continue political efforts to challenge the ruling All Progressives Congress ahead of the 2027 general elections.

El-Rufai had earlier honoured an invitation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on February 16. He was later reported to have been handed over to the Department of State Services and is currently said to be in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission, according to the protesters.

The demonstrators reiterated their demand that the authorities either release the former governor immediately or arraign him in court in the interest of justice and due process.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago