Politics

2027: I’ll contest despite APC’s 30 governors, says Peter Obi

 

Former Anambra State Governor and former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has declared that he will contest the 2027 presidential election, insisting he will not be intimidated by the political strength of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

Obi made the declaration on Friday while addressing supporters in Njikoka, Anambra State, saying ongoing political manoeuvres would not deter him from the race.

The former governor argued that Nigeria is in urgent need of leadership capable of fixing what he described as a collapsed system.

“Nigeria has collapsed and is already lying on the ground. Nigeria is not working because many rich Nigerians are hungry and greedy. They have everything they need, but are still scavenging for more,” he said.

According to him, his ambition is not driven by personal desperation for power but by a desire to see the country function effectively.

“I have always said that I’m not desperate to be the President of Nigeria, but I’m desperate to see a Nigeria that works,” Obi stated.

He also addressed questions surrounding his political platform, explaining that internal leadership disputes in the Labour Party influenced his decision to move to the African Democratic Congress (ADC).

“You all know that I’m now in ADC. People have been asking why I left LP, but we had been in court over the leadership crisis and even secured favourable judgments that INEC refused to recognise. But after I left on December 31, the same orders were recognised,” he said.

Obi further alleged that some constitutional changes and political moves were aimed at preventing him from contesting the presidency.

Despite the APC controlling about 30 state governors, Obi challenged the ruling party to allow a free and fair election.

“With their 30 governors, they should make the election free and fair and see who wins. Bring the ball to the middle of the field, declare the contest started, and let’s see what happens,” he added.

The former presidential candidate maintained that regardless of political pressure, he remains determined to participate in the 2027 presidential race.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago