Judiciary

Housing For Judges Not Bribe — Wike Fires Back At Critics, Defends FCT Judicial Projects

 

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike, on Thursday dismissed allegations that ongoing housing and infrastructure projects for judicial officers in Abuja are designed to compromise the independence of the judiciary, insisting that the intervention is purely for welfare, security and institutional strengthening.

Wike, who spoke after inspecting a number of judicial projects across the capital city, said the initiative is part of a presidential directive aimed at improving the working and living conditions of judges and heads of courts.

The minister toured the Court of Appeal complex, judges’ residential quarters and official residences being constructed for heads of courts, stressing that the projects are being executed by the Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA, through the Federal Capital Development Authority, FCDA.

He explained that the intervention followed a directive from President Bola Tinubu shortly after the inauguration of the administration in 2023, targeted at reducing accommodation challenges and improving welfare across the judiciary.

“After the inauguration of Mr President in May 2023 and our assumption of office in August, one of the clear directives was how to ease the accommodation burden affecting the judiciary and improve their working environment,” Wike said.

According to him, a new Court of Appeal division with a separate administrative headquarters is nearing completion, with work already at about 85 to 90 percent.

Expressing satisfaction with the pace of construction, the minister disclosed that 40 residential houses are being built for judges — 20 for the FCT High Court, 10 for the Court of Appeal and 10 for the Federal High Court — adding that similar projects for the National Industrial Court will soon commence.

He said the housing scheme would enhance security and dignity for judicial officers.

“When you look at where some judges currently live, you cannot even tell who their neighbours are — whether they are criminals or litigants appearing before them. With these new quarters, they will have secure, befitting accommodation. There will be no need for renting private houses,” he stated.

Wike also revealed that official residences tagged “Houses of Courts” are under construction for top judicial officers, including the President of the Court of Appeal, President of the National Industrial Court, Chief Judge of the Federal High Court and Chief Judge of the FCT High Court.

Describing the development as unprecedented, he said the projects are expected to be completed and handed over around June or July for formal inauguration by the President.

“It has never happened in the history of this country that heads of courts are being provided with official residences of this standard,” he said.

Reacting to claims that the gesture could be used to influence court decisions, Wike said critics were being unfair and politicising a genuine institutional reform.

“There is nothing government will do that critics will not question. Before now, people complained judges were not properly accommodated. Now that houses are being built, they say it is to buy them over. How many judges can anyone buy?” he asked.

He maintained that providing decent accommodation does not in any way erode judicial independence, noting that democracy depends heavily on a strong and effective judiciary.

“You cannot talk about democracy without the judiciary. They must be supported to function efficiently. Even when funds are allocated to the judiciary, they still come from the executive arm,” he added.

Addressing delays in parts of the projects, particularly the Court of Appeal complex, Wike blamed last year’s heavy rainfall for slowing construction but assured that the setbacks have been addressed and materials are already on ground.

He reaffirmed the Tinubu administration’s commitment to strengthening the judiciary as a key pillar of democratic governance.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Chelsea Coach Demands Lifetime Ban for Racist Football Offenders

  Chelsea F.C. manager, Liam Rosenior, has called for a lifetime ban on any player,…

17 hours ago

Peter Obi Allegedly Advocates Direct Primaries in ADC – Bashir Ahmad

  Bashir Ahmad, a former aide to the late ex-President Muhammadu Buhari, has claimed that…

17 hours ago

2024, 2025 Budgets Suffered From Unrealistic Revenue Projections — Adedeji

  The Executive Chairman of the Nigeria Revenue Service, Mr. Zacch Adedeji, yesterday attributed the…

17 hours ago

I Risked My Life for Electoral Reforms, Regret 10 Years at INEC — Igini

  A former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike…

17 hours ago

Oil Sector Stability Threatened Without Stakeholder Dialogue — PENGASSAN

  The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) has warned that…

17 hours ago

NBA Raises Alarm Over Obono-Obla’s Arrest, Moves to Defend Due Process

  The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has expressed concern over the arrest and detention of…

17 hours ago