Insecurity

Forest Security Operatives Seek Government Backing After Aiding Arrest of Abuja Robbery Suspects

The Nigerian Forest Security Service (NFSS) has called on the Federal Government to accord it formal recognition following its contribution to the arrest of armed robbery suspects behind the killing of an Arise News staff member, Somtochukwu Maduagwu, and a security guard, Barnabas Danlami, in Abuja.

Addressing journalists on Saturday, the Assistant Commander-General of the NFSS (North Central Zone), Abdulhakeem Ibrahim, said operatives of the service worked closely with the Nigeria Police Force in tracking down the criminals who had been terrorising Zuba and neighbouring communities.

According to Ibrahim, the joint operation followed two consecutive attacks by the gang on a popular hotel in Zuba. Acting on police directives, NFSS personnel mounted a checkpoint near the area, leading to the arrest of one suspect after a brief chase, while others fled.

“Further investigation led to the arrest of more suspects and the recovery of weapons, including an AK-47 rifle, a pump-action gun, and a Beretta pistol,” he said.

He described the synergy between the NFSS and the police as vital to maintaining public safety and strengthening grassroots intelligence.

“The police cannot work in isolation, and we also rely on them. That is how the system should function,” Ibrahim stated.

He appealed to the Federal Government to grant the NFSS legal status and logistical support to enhance its operations.

“Our operatives are putting their lives on the line to complement the work of formal security agencies. We need recognition and support to continue doing more,” he added.

Ibrahim also lauded the Nigerian Army, the police, and other security bodies for their cooperation during joint operations in the North Central region. He expressed appreciation to the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, for recognising the NFSS’s contributions to national security.

The NFSS official further commended the Commander-General of the organisation, Dr. Joshua Osatimehin, and the Deputy Commander-General (Intelligence), Dr. John Metchie, for their leadership and support.

He reaffirmed the commitment of the NFSS to sustained collaboration with conventional security agencies in the fight against crime and insecurity across the country.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

5 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

5 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

6 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

6 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

6 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

10 hours ago