May 22, 2026

UN agencies intensify Ebola response in DR Congo

 

United Nations agencies have stepped up efforts to contain the latest Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), deploying emergency medical supplies, logistics support and protective equipment to affected areas.

UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric disclosed this on Thursday in New York while briefing journalists on the Ebola situation in DRC and neighbouring Uganda.

Dujarric said humanitarian and peacekeeping teams were supporting government efforts to tackle the outbreak, which is concentrated in Ituri Province.

“The province of Ituri remains the epicentre of the outbreak with the most affected areas in the towns of Rwampara, Mongbwalu and Bunia,” he said.

He noted that the UN peacekeeping mission in Congo, MONUSCO, had intensified support operations by facilitating rapid delivery of medical supplies and equipment to Bunia.

According to him, MONUSCO has also deployed four light passenger vehicles to assist response teams and positioned a helicopter to support flights to affected communities.

Two ambulances and two armoured vehicles are also being moved from Goma to Bunia to aid medical evacuation and outreach in high-risk locations.

The UN spokesperson expressed concern over the spread of Ebola into North Kivu Province, where cases have now been confirmed in Goma, Butembo and Katwa.

“Our colleagues note that these are urban areas with a history of Ebola transmission,” Dujarric said.

He added that health partners had strengthened surveillance measures, introduced screening at entry points and adjusted field operations to contain further transmission.

MONUSCO has also supplied motorcycles to improve mobility for health workers conducting contact tracing and emergency response activities.

A fresh case has also been reported in South Kivu Province in Bukavu involving a traveller from Tshopo Province.

Dujarric warned that the outbreak was unfolding amid insecurity, population displacement and humanitarian access challenges.

The World Food Programme (WFP) is supporting response efforts by transporting medical supplies, aid workers and essential cargo to difficult-to-reach communities.

The agency is also providing food and nutritional support to Ebola patients, survivors and affected families.

WFP said it requires more than 214 million dollars for operations in Congo, including over 10 million dollars specifically for Ebola response activities.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) also raised concerns over the impact of the outbreak on children.

UNICEF said children face increased risks, including disruption of essential services, loss of caregivers, stigma and psychological distress.

The agency has delivered nearly 50 tonnes of emergency supplies, including disinfectants, protective equipment, water purification materials and sanitation items.

An emergency rapid response team is also being deployed to Bunia to strengthen community engagement and risk communication efforts.

The DRC has recorded 17 Ebola outbreaks since the virus was first identified in the country about 50 years ago.

Health authorities said the current outbreak is linked to the rare Bundibugyo strain, for which no approved vaccines or medicines currently exist.

So far, 139 deaths and about 600 suspected cases have been recorded in Congo, while Uganda has confirmed two cases.

The World Health Organisation has declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, urging coordinated international action to contain its spread.